Road accidents are undoubtedly the most frequent and, overall, the cause of the most damage. The reason for this are the extremely hazardous and tricky roads. Many people die while challenging these Deadly Highways. This list includes some, if not all, of the most dangerous roads in the world. Videos are provided for each road, many of which show travel over some of the roughest terrain on the planet. So, if you don’t get frightened easily, fasten your seatbelt and take a virtual ride. And, if you’ve actually traveled on any of the awesome avenues, please let us know and share your experience ..
Now let’s begin the countdown.
10. KARAKORAM HIGHWAY(Pakistan to China): Sometimes considered the Eighth Wonder of the world, because it was built as high as 15,000feet above sea level and under very rough conditions, construction on the Karakoram Highway began in 1966 and was completed in 1979, although it wasn’t open to the public until 1986. This dangerous road covers more than 1,300 kilometers. The Karakoram Highway is beset with hazards : rock falls, landslides, avalanches, flooding, snow drifts, reckless drivers, herds of animals, precipitous cliffs and terrible storms.
9.LOGGING ROAD(Europe): The location of the road is not surely known, perhaps somewhere in Europe; nevertheless ,it must be one of the most dangerous roads in existence of course, there are many other Logging roads throughout the world, many of which are not paved, while others are little more than animal trials.
8.PAN AMERICAN HIGHWAY(Alaska to Chile) : The Pan American Highway (PAH) is not entirely dangerous, that is, it’s probably no worse than average American Highway but in some places, it is risky to take the PAH as a means of travel. Certainly a dangerous section of the PAH winds through Mexico and Central America, where drug cartel terrorists roam. In the Panamanian section of the road ,anyone could encounter FARC rebels, who often take captives and hold them for ransom ,sometimes for years. The PAH is 30,000 miles long and the only broken section of the road is the 60 miles Darien Gap, between Panama and Colombia, where FARC were worse.
7. SICHAUN-TIBET HIGHWAY(China):This very long highway -2028 kilometers in length -connects Chengdu in Sichaun with Lhasa in Tibet, through an area known as Kham. Continuously beset with hazards, rockslides and avalanches. This road winds among towering peaks, some of which over 6,000 meters in elevation. This road was built between 1958 and 1954. Many people die while traveling through this road.
6.JAMES DALTON HIGHWAY(Alaska): This road is also known as the North Slope Hall Road, the James Dalton Highway is a road used by truckers, specially those who travel to and from the Prudho Bay Oil Fields on the North Slope of Alaska. The highway is 414 miles long, paved in places, but about three -fourths of it is not. There are no medical facilities along the road.
5.SIBERIAN ROAD TO YAKUTSK(Russia):Travel through Siberia is always a challenge. Nicknamed the “Road of Bones”, the Siberian Road to Yakutsk meanders it’s way through one of the coldest regions in the world. (the townhouse of Yakutsk is constructed on permafrost). The road is mostly unpaved and is about 760 miles long. In the winter season is the prefferd time to travel on this road but in rainy season the road become monstrous.
4. GUOLIANG TUNNEL ROAD(China):When the Chinese government decided it wasn’t worth trouble and expense to make road that would be used only 300 villagers, 13 of those villagers decided to build a 8 mile tunnel through the solid rock of a vertical cliff. Located in the Taihang Mountains in the province of Henan. The tunnel is 15 feet high and 12 feet wide, barely wide enough for two cars. The road is open in 1977. This is particularly dangerous when it rains.
3.ZOJI PASS(India): Zoji pass winds through the highest mountain range in the world and dangerous for travel. It’s a dirt road with no guardrails or traffic signs and where landslides are a continual problem. Moreover, the road zigzags among cragy peaks at over 11,000feet at its highest elevation. The road was originally built in 1947 and first used for military purposes. Zoji pass is only 9 kilometers long. It connects the towns of Srinagar and leg in the western Himalayan Mountain Range (Indian Kashmir)
2.NORTH YUNGAS ROAD(Bolivia): North Yungas Road is also known as “The Road of Death “, leading from LA PAZ to coroico, the Road Of Death is 40 miles of one -lane road, featuring vertical drops of as much as 3,000 feet into the Amazon rainforest below. The road has over 200 hairpin turns. Many people died when traveling through this road.
1.FAIRY MEADOWS ROAD (Pakistan) : The Fairy Meadows Road is only for people who love to drive in the mountains and have nerves of steel. It open only during the summer months, this rocky, gravelly road is about 16 kilometers long, A six mile stretch of it is particularly hazardous. The road was built hundreds of years ago by villagers on Nanga Parbat Mountain and has not been repaired over the decades.
1) Fairy meadous road :
2)North yungas road:
3) Zoji Pass (India)
4. Guoliang Tunnel Road (China)
5. Siberian Road to Yakutsk
6. James Dalton Highway (Alaska)
7. Sichaun-Tibet Highway (China)
8. Pan American Highway
9. Logging Road (Europe)
10. Karakoram Highway (Pakistan to China)